But now, O Jacob{Jessica}, listen to the Lord who created you.
O Israel, the one who formed you says,
“Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
2 When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you.
3 For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. Isaiah 43:1-3

Thursday, April 18, 2013

And now the rest of the story.......Kick Cancer's Butt Tennis Shoes



When Jessica was diagnosed with cancer, it was devastating for all of us. We were told on the following Monday she would have a biopsy to determine what kind and how advance it was. We were overwhelmed. Tears were shed.

As we were waiting for the biopsy, a friend of hers arrived, Christy Spivey. Christy is a petite, well dressed woman. She had her make up on, earrings, and necklace. Her hair was attractively styled. She wore a quality black and white dress and had on a red sweater. She was the perfect picture of a classy lady. That is until you got to her shoes. She had on Asics Gel Kinsei 4s. They seemed so out of place in the picture that my daughter and I couldn’t help but laugh. It was a great comic relief moment. Christy explained she is a pharmacist. As a pharmacist you have to look good above the counter but your feet take a beating and so she has to wear shoes that are comfortable. She said it doesn't matter whether they go with your outfit or not because nobody sees them below the counter. We couldn’t help but smile and the tension of the diagnosis was forgotten for the moment.

Two days later as we awaited the biopsy report Christy showed up with a box in hand. In the box was a pair of Asics Gel Kinsei 4s in my daughter’s size. Christy said, “These are your “Kick Cancer’s Butt” shoes and you wear them so that you remember to smile, laugh and hold on to hope. It was perfect. The diagnosis was not good. The cancer is aggressive and rather advance. My daughter put on the shoes and told me, “Mom you have to get a pair of these.” I really laughed then. “ They aren’t my style.” She laughed and said, “Mom, I have seen your crazy high heels!”

I went home and looked up the shoes. I had never paid that much for a pair of shoes!!! I told her I would not be buying those shoes. Later the next day, we were told she would have to go to MD Anderson in Houston for her cancer treatment. Her cancer is rather advanced and aggressive.  She turned to me with tears streaming down her cheeks and said, “Mom you have to buy these shoes. I have to know that when Jason (her husband) and I are alone in Houston that you are wearing these shoes. That you and I are somehow connected. That you are there with me. That you are wearing our “Kick Cancer’s Butt” tennis shoes. When I am getting my chemotherapy I want to look down and see these shoes and smile because I know you and others are fighting with me.”

I went home that afternoon and bought a pair of the shoes! Since that time, several others have bought the same shoes and all are referring to them as our “Kick Cancer’s Butt” shoes.  These shoes are precious to us and are helping us to stay positive and focused. I have even preached about them and will be preaching in them this next Sunday. I will be wearing them all the while she is gone and I am a high heel kind of girl!  For us they represent our hope which is rooted in the Big "C" Christ!


Below you will find a link to purchase the shoes through Amazon.com.  A portion of the proceeds from each pair of shoes will go to the foundation to support Jessica's fight against cancer.  Join us as we  "kick some butt!" (Be sure you are ordering the Women's Mosaic or Men's Lime/White Kinsei)




ASICS Men's Gel-Kinsei 4 Running
Shoe,Lime/White/Royal,10 M US



 
 
Love in Christ,
Sheila, Jessica's Mom
 
 
P.S. And if you live in the LaGrange area the LaGrange Roger's BBQ is doing a fundraiser for Jessica.  You can purchase BBQ tickets for $6 and they are valid for one year.  Tickets can be purchased at Roger's BBQ LaGrange location and Greene's pharmacy.....other ticket sale locations will be announced later. 

1 comment:


  1. Appreciable blog........!
    Printable funeral program templates available which are competible with word and openoffice
    www.pinterest.com/funeraltemplate/printable-funeral-program-templates/

    ReplyDelete