But now, O Jacob{Jessica}, listen to the Lord who created you.
O Israel, the one who formed you says,
“Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you.
I have called you by name; you are mine.
2 When you go through deep waters,
I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you.
3 For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. Isaiah 43:1-3

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Meals are More Than Food

Friends,

Last night our family dinner was wonderful. It was full of sharing, laughter, silliness, good manners, GOOD food, information, conversation, catching up, TOO MUCH food, excitement, joy, and love.  Sitting with my loved ones made my heart swell with love, happiness and hope.

However, the special meal last night had me thinking about the value of a "regular" meal. You know, maybe not that Friday night pizza treat, or Sunday after church feast, but those meals that have to happen to keep families fed, and bodies strong and life going. These "regular" meals seem to happen every night; sometime around 6:00, the children appear famished and desire to eat!

As a wife and mother I understand that the meals my children and husband eat do matter. I mean, they will get hungry every day. And  every day that I can I want to serve my family by providing their evening meal. Not sure why this task has become so important to me, other than I know when a meal is made and family has gathered around the table, memories are made. Surrounded by good food and seated together is when laughter happens, instruction and encouragement are shared, tears can be healed, celebrations happen over good news shared, behavior charts can be good or bad, and over spaghetti or taco a memory is etched in my girl's hearts forever. See why I think meals are more than food!

With that understanding, I want to admit that due to a recent increase in side effects affecting my mobility, daily strength, stamina, and walking, some days preparing a meal for my family has become a challenge. There have been days I have not been able to make the meal that is more than food! I have had to let go of expectations I had given to myself to provide such a service and gift to my family. In doing so, I have been sad. I want my family to eat well and good, I want us to be able to sit around the table and relish about the day, I want my children to try new foods, and enjoy old favorites - but I can no longer always provide that for them. My heart hurt. I just wanted to make a meal for my family; I wanted to feel as if I had served my family faithfully in this small way.

And then God moved! Friends began to re- ask me how they could love on our family and help me. I quickly realized that "yes", family meals were one important aspect of my life where I needed and would cherish the help.  A call came and church members and friends offered to serve our family by providing weekday dinners. Those who love us (YOU - who are reading this!) were wanting to help in a tangible way and many have already signed up or brought meals already. And I want each of you to fully understand, the food you have prepared has been fantastic. We are being spoiled! Desserts, casseroles, pot roast, homemade goodies galore. It has been a gift. But what many who have and were or are willing to prepare a meal for my family to enjoy on weekday nights,  is that while a human physical need of my family is met by your meal, you also give this mama's heart joy. You give an assurance to me that I don't have to do it all. Your meals show my girls that our friends and church family love us and will always be present for them. This they will need in latter years to and in some perhaps even soon - you have just planted early seeds. Your meals keep my hard-working, truly good husband a break from having to fill-in when I can't. With your meals you show love. You show care. You show help. You and your meal show us Jesus! Thank you!  Your meals have been more than food!!!

To continue to help out by providing meals, or if you haven't had the chance to sign up yet check out this link and sign up. (www.takethemameal.com - you will need a login name (shocker! It is Newsome) and the password is 2015). www.takethemameal.com And a big shout out to Angela Chambers for getting the online schedule started! You are awesome!  We look forward to seeing each of you at our house door, with your sacrificial goodies!
Thank you again. I am blessed.

With all my love - Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jess, I wish we lived closer. Can something be arranged where I could send a gift card or have a meal delivered to your home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment shows anonymous BUT we would be more than happy to receive your blessing, but I have to know who you are first! :) he he he! Feel free to message me here or on my email jessicaleighnewsome@gmail.com.

      Delete